Self-Introduction Letter

Dear Professor Brad,

My name is Hui Xiang and I am writing to introduce myself to you. An interesting fact is that I do have an English name, Fabian, given by my uncle, albeit an unofficial one. Therefore, feel free to call me Fabian if that may make it easier for you to remember my name amongst the sea of Chinese names in your classes.

I graduated from Ngee Ann Polytechnic with a diploma in aerospace engineering, and am currently attending your critical thinking module as an undergrad in mechanical engineering. Since I was a kid, I have been surrounded by machines and robotics due to the fact that my dad was also a mechanical engineer. He would bring me to his factory and office where he would talk to me all about his new projects and products which really fascinated me. This made me very curious about the inner workings of robots and machines. My hobbies then were to build and create through Lego and Gunpla(Robot figurines), which were definitely inspired by my dad. Hence, I grew up really enjoying math and physics in school. All forms of engineering are beautiful, but I believe that furthering my studies as a mechanical engineer at SIT(Singapore Institute of Technology) would better equip me with the relevant skills that would be in line with my interests.


To many people, I may seem to be very vocal and extroverted, but I believe otherwise. It took me a long time to comfortably step out of my comfort zone and approach people to socialize. I dare say national service has truly helped me out a lot in this aspect. I am now able to approach and speak with more ease with people I have never met before. A glaring issue, however, is my inability to present to a crowd. Due to my performance anxiety, I find it challenging to compete, perform or even speak to a crowd. I would start stuttering and freezing up due to my anxiety.


To quote Confucius, ‘By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.’ This quote is something that has been stuck with my for a very long time as it fuels my drive for learning. I have been working slowly to improve my confidence in public speaking and hope that by actively participating in your class, I would be able to pick up your confidence, charisma and public speaking skills Professor Brad. This module will definitely provide me with opportunities to speak out more often. As for my second goal for this module, I would like to work on the way I think. I believe that this module will definitely be able to assist me in widening my perspectives as I normally end up thinking too one dimensionally.


Yours sincerely

Huang Hui Xiang (Mr)



Edited on 19/9/22


Read: Jing Zhe & Wei En

Comments

  1. Dear Hui Xiang,

    Thank you for this comprehensive letter and the personal sharing. I appreciate the content that is well aligned with the assignment brief, the effective organization and the generally appropriate language use. You've done a good job providing supporting information for each specific content area, allowing us readers to gain a clearer understanding of who you are. The tone of the letter is also relaxed as you invite us to use your English name. (Fabian is a very cool name. Hoestly though, since I now know you as Hui Xiang, I'll probably stick with that.)

    From the discussion of your background and childhood, it's easy to see why you have an interest in MEC. You also mention you being an extrovert, but I haven't seen so much evidence of that yet in the class. Of course, the module has just started so you have plenty of time to come out of your shell. I do appreciate the fact that you feel you can emulate some of my classroom behaviours.

    In the spirit of this module's emphasis on improvement, I'd suggest you look at the following points and consider how to revise:
    1. overuse of capitalization
    -- I graduated from Ngee Ann Polytechnic with a diploma in Aerospace Engineering, and am currently attending your critical thinking module as an undergrad in Mechanical Engineering. > ?
    -- ...I grew up really enjoying Math and physics in school. > ?
    2. lack of clarity
    -- ...I have been working slowly to fix that. > (fix what? I appreciate the reference to Confuscious, but you need to relate thos to your own development.)

    I look forward to learning more about you this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts